CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 20, 2009

Justice Not Prevail!!

I finished reading “My Name Is Red” last night. Who would think that the life of miniaturist & painters during the Ottoman period in Istanbul could be very intriguing? No wonder the writer, Orhan Pamuk won the Nobel Prize for literature. I will start ‘White Tiger” soon and that should be another interesting read since the book won MAN Booker Prize 2008.
Ah, books, greatest pleasure in life! And I remember, with bitterness (yes, very bitter) that in 1982, when I was in Standard 5, I won a reading contest organized by the school I attended. Oh, don’t get me wrong, winning was sweet and I was proud and feel rewarded. I was bitter about what happened days after. You see, the winner was determined from how many books he/she borrowed from the school library during the year. And my next competitor (wah, competitor tu..) did not even borrowed half number of books I did! So, a rumour spread that I borrowed books only to return the next day without reading them so that I could borrow another books (students were allowed to borrow up to 3 books only at any particular time). I was annoyed but, it was talk among other pupils and didn’t bother me much. It was when A TEACHER CALLED ME A CHEAT that broke my heart. Yes, a teacher did so, IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE 5A CLASS!! Couldn’t he just pull me aside, away from other pupils and ask for explanation/verification/clarification or whatever? But no, he felt the need to just shout out there in front of everybody so that it could be a teladan to others. No, it’s not to follow my reading habit, but NOT to cheat like I did! How would you, dear reader think an 11 year old kampong boy to feel suddenly being chastised like that?? What upset me most was that I could not defend myself then, how can I prove that I really read all those books?? I was helpless. I cannot walk with my head held high even days after that. I felt like I was a common criminal you see in the newspaper with his eyes blacked out. I was the worst student in the school! And all I did was only to be the most read student for 1982. How I wished the school year to end ASAP.
That incident, small as it was, never forgotten and still upset me to think about it. Because I know I was right, but others don’t. And up to now, I still feel that they must know that I really read all those books and I won that little plaque (now still sitting in my mother’s cabinet) fairly. I am still angry about justice not prevail!
But life continues. Luckily the incident never put any dent in my love for books. In fact I grew to love them more. My wife & I now decided to keep the “save more spend less” budget now that our 2 children are growing up, and we’d moved to a bigger house with higher monthly instalments with more expenses incurred, the portion for books never reduced. Yes, I can live with no new CD, no movie, no eating out but I CANNOT live without books, NO, reader, I cannot live without books (Oh, MPH is having sale this week and I cannot miss that too, as much as my wife cannot miss the Sogo & Jaya Jusco sale)
Ciao.

10 comments:

amiechomel said...

what a **** teacher you had back then. i could feel your disappointment, though it's only now i got to know the story.

by the way, when it comes to reading, you're always my idol. i wish i have half your collection. in fact, i can't live without books too. i guess we got it from mom?

amiechomel said...

oh one more thing, i love your old pic up there, so cute. i think sarah looks very much like u when you were a baby...

Adam Tajuddin said...

Now you know la where her jambul came from, haha. BTW everyone keep saying so, but I just don't see the resemblance. Kat mana aa??

amiechomel said...

first - definitely the jambul
second - the eyes
third - the smile (though I haven't seen Sarah smile yet... how's that?)
fourth - the DNA. Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

thn ni sogo n jusco sale blum g lg tp abg dh beli 4 buku bru..haha=

Unknown said...

i masih igt masa i gi rumah u bbrp tahun dulu masa u masih bujang, bersusun-susun buku doraemon kat dalam toilet! Now, still begitu ke?

Unknown said...

n like imah, i suka dgn gambar u tahun 71 tu...nostalgia betul! Lagi sronok kenangkan backgroundnya tu, bawah rumah kita...tempat segala aktiviti permainan kita masa kecik-kecik dulu: main congkak, masak-masak, main buai,cari 'cikku', main nnusuk, main to, macam2! Nostalgiakan?

Unknown said...

i dh baca blog ta, but tak dapat nak comment. Tahniah for her yg akhirnya dah mula berblog. i perempuan, n tau sangat2 org perempuan kerja dari celik mata sampai tutup mata...not only 6 hours!Marah ni.....

Anonymous said...

1. Doraemon dah lari ke Tganu. Skrg teman termenung kat toilet dah lain dah.. haha
2. Nasib baik tak runtuh rumah mak sebab kita main tari2 sambil peluk tiang rumah (apa nama main pun tak ingat dah..), memang nest lah..
3. Huu.. geng nampak..

Unknown said...

Kalau tak salah tu main cabut ubi! he he.. anak2 kt skrg x tau dah rupa pokok ubi, nak cabut ubi jauh sekali.Lgpun mana la ada tiang rumah lagi...